Saturday, October 04, 2008

What I don't understand...

Why is gas SO high-priced in the south (if it's even available)...yet here in the midwest, the prices have been dropping exponentially, on a daily basis?

Immediately following Hurricane Ike on September 13th...the gas prices here went back up...a good 20 cents a gallon. It was close to $3.70 a gallon, having come down from $4 in the previous months....but since Ike...the price has trended down...it's currently $3.08 at the cheapest stations in town. These stations typically match the on-post prices (and sometimes are LOWER than the on-post prices!). I got gas on Wednesday, for $3.27. The next day, I drove by the same station and it was at $3.20. Friday, it was at $3.15.

I just don't get it. Not that I'm complaining, because dropping gas prices are the best thing...although I would truly appreciate them dropping WAY below the $3 mark...I'd be happy with $1.50/gallon! But still...it just makes me wonder why it is that the south has problems with getting gas and we've been practically swimming in it!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm moving to where you live! Gas here is about $3.60. The high price probably has to do with the bigger population and also the oil rigs in the gulf. You know we planned on moving across town because of gas prices. Guess the Army solved that problem for us.

Barbara said...

Oh no, we're not really moving to where you are. I was just saying that because gas is so cheap there! So far we're still on for Alaska.

Christy said...

I talked to my Sister In Law this evening and she said that gas in Topeka was $2.95, let me tell you I was ENVIOUS...it JUST dropped to $3.80 from I think it was $4.02 or $4.12 (something like that) on Saturday and I was excited to see it finally in the $3.00 range. Let me tell you it was a HUGE shock coming back here and finding how high gas was on post. I guess AAFES is comparing their gas prices with the South...@@@@

Kim said...

Hi! The cheapest place around here is at the Wal-mart station, and that was 3.45 on Saturday. It's so frustrating!