Monday, May 12, 2008

Prom Dress...

I'm sure most of you have heard about the "Prom Dress Fiasco" and the girl who was put into handcuffs and arrested at her senior prom. I'm not going to link it, nor post the HIGHLY offensive pictures of the UGLIEST ever "custom made" prom dress. But I have to post about it. Because there are a lot of factors here that aren't being covered.

As a mom to a daughter, I CRINGED when I saw this young lady dressed in what amounted to less than a yard of fabric covering the VITAL parts of her body. Yeah, the ugly dress had a "train" but it was dragging behind, not covering anything. The dress was barely below crotch level...I didn't get the back view, but I am sure it was as offensive as the front. The top? Well, it looked like a bikini top...only not as well placed. Now, to her credit, the girl was in good shape, so she didn't look AWFUL in the dress...but I am SURE she got a lot of "offers" for "services", because she was dressed like a hooker.

Apparently, the prom was off school property, so this young lady apparently felt that the school rules didn't apply...although I am sure if she READ her school handbook, she would know that the prom IS a school function and therefore falls under school rules. She was inappropriately dressed for a school function. Period. No ifs ands or buts about it. She had to know she was pushing beyond the boundaries of good taste (and rules and regulations) but she felt that SHE was right.

And please, can someone tell me what MOTHER would feel this was an appropriate outfit for the prom? REALLY? Mom thought it was all right? Is there even a MOM involved? What mother would let their teenage daughter walk out of the house, to a public venue (a Marriott hotel) dressed as a streetwalker? This dress was "custom made"...did MOM see the dress plans? Did she approve? Because I just don't get it.... Oh...she DID try to "cover up" with the train...but the adult felt that it still wasn't appropriate because she had on no undergarments. Again, I didn't see a back view, so I can't judge on the lower half (you know, panty lines), but I sure could tell she wasn't wearing a bra...she was half falling out of the fabric as it was!

And the arrest part...well...when she was not allowed to enter the prom, stopped by an ADULT who told her she violated school dress code, here is what the young "lady" said, "an' I aksed her, what's her problem is". Is THAT how she was raised? To question authority? To believe that her 17 year old self is RIGHT and that the adult, a chaperone, is WRONG? She raised a stink. She wanted her money back. Now, on this front, I say, PLEASE...give her the money. Because maybe she'll shut up. But she kept at it, and the adults present felt that she was now causing a disturbance. So the police were called. While there is no video of this, I can quite imagine the scene: The police come...she gets loud and obnoxious because everyone else is wrong and she's right. She screams and yells. The cops tell her to calm down or they'll have to take her in for creating a disturbance. She continues, in defiance of the law, because SHE'S RIGHT...and the cops follow through."

All of a sudden, it's a tragedy that a young girl was handcuffed. I give kudos to the media for once again playing it all up...they got as far as presenting her story...but they didn't continue...did they interview the adult(s) who made the decision to keep her out of the prom? Did they interview other people UNINVOLVED with the incident (bystanders)? Did they talk to the police about why she was arrested? Nope...the media, as ever, presented a one-sided picture to those of us here in TV land. Because we're too stupid to ask those questions...yeah, the ones I just ASKED.

In case Ms. Arrested on Prom Night reads this: follow the rules, be modest and chaste in life, don't question authority, and perhaps you'll have a better life.

8 comments:

rennratt said...

I agree completely.

As they said on the radio this morning, "Rules are there for a reason..."

I am at a loss regarding her parents, and why this kid is being considered a 'victim'.

rennratt said...

Also? I just googled the story. HOLY COW! She looks like a STRIPPER or a BET dancer!

For the record, she doesn't DESERVE a refund. She should consider it 'consequences for her actions'.

In the end, the big bad adults will have to apologize and Super Skank will be elevated in the eyes of her Public.

JBBGirl said...

You are so right. I didn't go to my prom which I think is something that is very "Overrated" these days and seems that more kids have lost their "Chastity" to the notorious prom night then I care to mention. Anyways, I am no authority on modesty. I have things I wear that I probably shouldn't but still it is a shame what children do these days and how disrespectful so many of them are to authority. Sad.

Suzanne said...

I am so with you on this, and really appreciate it! I don't have girls, but I am all about modesty. Great post, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Rachelle Jones said...

I have been under a rock, and am sickened to hear of this, but it does not shock me.....

I went to buy my 4 year old sandals the other day at SEARS, and found 2 pair of FLAT sandals...

2 pair out of 15.

The rest had heels on them

Anonymous said...

I honestly don't GET what's WRONG with people these days. I've met so many kids/teens now that are just OBNOXIOUS and I just don't understand. If I even tried to leave the house looking like that (Lord knows I wouldn't, but still) my father would've kicked my butt right back into my bedroom! And my parents were pretty lenient! I dunno, I really dunno ...

d.a.r. said...

This totally disgusted me, as most media twisted events do. Seriously, does this girl have PARENTS?! What on earth were they doing when she dressed herself like this? What on earth have they been doing for the last 18 years of her life???

I know I don't have kids yet, so maybe things will change when I do. But I just don't understand how parents refuse to parent.

liberal army wife said...

revolting. the dress and the attitude. but she's probably been dressing and acting like this since she was little. Rules are there for a reason. As for her parents -I'm sure it was the "well, everyone else is doing it" and for the sake of peace in the house... they have been letting her get away with this lack of respect for herself and others. how sad.

LAW