Saturday, January 24, 2009

MUST WATCH!!!

I don't recall posting anything about this, but back in November (I think), Extreme Makeover - Home Edition (EMHE) was in the Manhattan area filming. The family, the Tutwilers, live in Chapman, which was one of the towns devastated during the tornado on June 11, 2008 (see HERE
and HERE and HERE for some info/images of what happened to Manhattan). The father is an Army veteran who was injured during his time in Iraq. They have several children, and their home was completely demolished during the EF-3 tornado in Chapman.

Because SPC Patrick Tutwiler was in the military, EMHE wanted to incorporate as much of the military in the area as possible. Therefore, the soldiers from Ft. Riley play a BIG part in all of this. Ft. Riley soldiers and families volunteered with the building, cleaning, and feeding of the cast, crew, builders, etc. It was a huge undertaking. Not only did EMHE give the Tutwilers a huge new home, they also worked on a new community center, and did some work on other homes as well. This was truly a community-wide show.

Of course, the 1st Infantry Division Band was a part of this. Scott and his soldiers were on hand to play for the "Braveheart Moment" -when the builders and volunteers come marching up the road. It did take all day for filming the sequences...and we're not sure how much or little will be shown on TV, but I'm sure there will be some shots of the band shown.

So, if you are not doing anything special tonight, it's a 2 hour special tonight on ABC starting at 8:00 p.m. Eastern time. Take the time to watch.

I know that sometimes I watch this show and wonder why that particular family got chosen. I am sure that many in Chapman and Manhattan might have thought the same. But when you learn about all that's happened to Patrick Tutwiler, you can see why this family truly deserved a home. You can read a good account of his story HERE.

Anyway...if you all watch, leave a message and tell me if you could find Scott!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! You were awfully close to the path of that tornado!

I've never seen a tornado up close and never want to.

Netchick sent me!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be thinking about that 3/4 ounce all day long.

Bobkat said...

Sounds like, in this case at least, there were really good reasons to choose this family. Hope they show some of the band. I won't be able to watch it being in the UK but I hope you enjoy the programme.

Netchick sent me to say hi this time :)

saintseester said...

This is what I get for not reading blogs every day! I missed it. Darn.

Anonymous said...

We watched last night and it was a nice show. Brian thought he saw Scott in one scene to the right of flag pole, saluting. It was shown so quickly so I can't really confirm. We were hoping to see the band again at the end but I guess they weren't included in the reveal scene.
They seemed like a very deserving family and I won't get started about how badly our military, on the whole, is treated in this country. I did feel like the show moved very s-l-o-w-l-y! Too much time to fill. It would have been nice if they had included a portion of a song from the band instead of too much Ty.