Thursday, January 12, 2006

It's been one of those days...

Well, more like yesterday was one of those days. The ones you wish would go away almost from the moment you wake up.

It all started at about 11:45 p.m. on Tuesday evening...yup...TUESDAY evening. Hannah woke up complaining that her stomach hurt. Great. Just what I need. I had just spent the day getting ready for company. Scott and 9 other soldiers from the band headed to Ft. Riley on Tuesday morning to play some ceremonies and to scout out the facilities for when we actually move there. I invited some of the spouses to dinner, just a simple crockpot roast. I had 5 adults and 5 kids (2 under 2, lol). But it all went smashing. I had a mountain of dishes that I was going to tackle first thing in the morning (Wednesday). I had taken Benadryl because I've been having vicious allergy attacks all day. So I was pretty loopy and tired. Fell asleep right around 11:00 p.m. Then came the tummy ache.

I took her to the bathroom to make her go - most of the time that solves the problem. She said it still hurt, but went to bed. I left the hall and bedroom doors open so I could hear. Sure enough, around 12:30 a.m., I hear her door open and she's in the bathroom throwing up (you have to hand it to her, she's not quite 5 yet but managed to hit the bathroom with impeccable timing - no mess for mommy to clean up!). I went in and the poor thing was miserable. I held her hair, comforted her, got her cleaned up, rinsed out and back to bed. I thought maybe it was post-nasal drip that caused it, so I gave her some children's decongestant to help thin it all out.

I decided to spend the night on the couch, since I was afraid she'd be unable to make it, and it would take me awhile to get out of the bedroom in my benadryl-induced haze. On to the couch I went. Sure enough, around 2:00 a.m., she was headed for the bathroom again. Poor kid, couldn't keep anything down, not even water. This went all night...every hour and a half or so.

Total sleep depravation is NOT good for a mom of 2, especially when they are both home all day. My Wednesday schedule was totally upended. I couldn't go to PWOC, which was the kickoff for the new season, and Renee Pundt was going to share her testimony about being diagnosed with cancer. But I couldn't, in good conscience, put Hannah into the kids' room at church, knowing that she had been sick all night. AND I ended up missing a meeting in the evening as well. Never fails, when your spouse is not around, everything bad happens.

Not that this was horrible, but I am just not fond of illness in any form.

But my little girl is back to normal today, torturing her brother, whining about being bored, and just being herself. That's good!

No comments: