Sunday, February 12, 2006

When it rains...

it sure does pour!

There has not been a healthy body in this house since before Christmas. The kids and I were sick just before our trip to London. We managed to make the trip with minimal illness...just coughs and runny noses for the trip. Then Christmas came with lots of coughing, but nothing too serious. Of course, Scott leaves for his Kansas trip and Hannah's throwing up all night (back in early January). Then Scotty gets the general crud. Scott comes home and starts feeling unhealthy.

We have just not been able to get rid of the creeping crud, terrible tummies, what EVER is going around is in our house at all times. Ugh.

First Scotty with an ear infection, and Scott with his sinus infection. My cough sounds like a bark. Hannah's been as sick as the others, but was a trooper, up until today. She complained of a tummy ache all morning. We went to church; everything was fine. Then we came home, with her STILL complaining of the tummy pain. She ate peaches, felt better. Of course, then she started throwing up. What else can we expect???

God, in His infinite grace, has granted me the least sickness. He always seems to work that way. I get less sick than the others so that I can take care of them. Most times, I never really get what they have at all, just a few days' worth of general yuckiness. It's quite a blessing, actually. But there are the few times that I DO get sick right after they've all had it. Life has gone on for the rest of the family, and I have to ignore my illness to keep them going. Such is the life of a mother.

But I pray to God often for healing in these times. When Scotty was sick a few nights ago, I completely covered him in prayer. There wasn't a moment that I wasn't thanking God for the 10 minutes of rest I'd gotten, the 1/2 hour of no throwing up for Scotty, the peaceful sleep he was able to get. God is SO good to us. When there is illness in my house, I truly rely on God. I follow the adage of praying without ceasing. I live by Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

There's another verse that comes to mind when I talk about praying without ceasing, Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Never has this been more evident to me! We often forget that in coming to God with a prayer request, we do not thank Him for the goodness that he provides. With simple thanks for whatever is going good (like 10 minutes of peaceful sleep) God knows that we are thankful to Him for all he does.

So, once again, I'll be turning to God, covering Hannah in prayer for quick healing of her tummy, and for peace for all of us...and most of all, HEALTH to come to us all, soon!


*********************** EDITED TO ADD************************

I wrote this early in the afternoon...but for some reason saved it as a draft. It is now 12:30 a.m. the following day (for me) and I'm still up, because now SCOTT has the stomach crud. He always seems to be much worse than the rest. I'm praying and praying...

Hannah, God bless her, has not been sick now for several hours. She's sleeping quite restlessly, but she's resting and not vomiting, so there's a good sign...now if we can run it out of Scott and then out of the house COMPLETELY, I'll be okay. God will get me through this.

No comments: