Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A great site...

In my blog-reading travels, I hit upon a site recently which I think is a WONDERFUL idea.

The site is called Found Cameras. The premise is quite simple. If you ever find a camera, contact these folks, and they will post some photos (if there are any on it) and the location. And if you have lost a camera, or know of someone who has, go check it out...you just might find your pictures.

I recently read about a camera that was found in the bottom of a river in New Hampshire. The finder took it home and carefully pried it apart in hopes of recovering photos. Well, he DID...and he posted a few carefully chosen images (there were over 200 photos and several video clips on the card), along with several questions about the photos that only the person who owned the photos would know. That memory card was returned to its owner; you can read about it HERE.

It is my fervent wish, that should I ever lose a camera, someone would be kind enough to at the very least, return the memory card intact (though losing my Canon would kill me and I'd like THAT back as well, thankyouverymuch). I once had a camera stolen from my house (just a simple 35mm film camera) and I was more upset about the roll of film left in it than the loss of the camera itself. You can replace a camera, but the memories captured on photos are much harder to replace.

So, anyway - if you've lost or found a camera, or just want to see what's been found (in case you recognize someone!0, go check out the first link for Found Cameras!

3 comments:

Gwen said...

I had never heard of that site. Seems like a great online source! I would cry if I lost either my camera or any cards.

Kim said...

Awesome website. Thanks, Linda. I wish I would have known about this when I lost my kodak point and shoot a few years ago. Lost a lot of good photos. :)

carmilevy said...

What a cool resource - and what cool people who take it upon themselves to do this. It's a very inspiring comment on the human condition, and a reminder that good souls are still among us.

I, too, once lost a 35mm camera in a robbery. It was actually a pretty good camera, a Minolta X-700, built up piece by piece as I saved my student-earned pennies and bought it all used. I was also most ticked about the undeveloped roll of film - a sweet roll of Ektar, too! - that was in the camera. I can still imagine the photos in my mind...

Thankfully insurance helped me move into a better bracket, but in the end, it's only stuff.